Thursday, August 17, 2006

Buy in

I'm a marketing director, which means in the lexicon of the modern American college or University that I am middle management. Therefore, it will be as important in the process to manage up as it is to manage down. As I go about trying to create a new comprehensive marketing plan for the college I have visions of a plan that includes admissions, alumni, fundraising, music, athletics and the many other groups that all showcase the institution in some way. I'm also hoping to tie all of this to outcomes, research, and most importantly budget. As the great Dr. George White a former collegue once said, "If the strategic plan isn't tied to the budget you don't have a strategic plan, you have a budget."

The first step was today when I met with the VP of my division to discuss a basic plan for how this might be accomplished. It seemed to go well and the first step of buy in is complete. I now have two other VP's to meet with, and then it will be on to my staff who have already been involved in part of the process, but have not seen the entire plan.

It is overly dramatic, but I'm somehow feeling like I'm planning D-Day, but I know it is possible. My readings of and in some cases discussions with the likes of Robert Sevier and Larry Lauer of TCU indicate the tremendous potential of a campus wide plan. However, right now what I have is pieces of a plan ready to come together. In the words of Hannibal from the A-Team, "I just love it when a plan comes together."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home