Friday, June 05, 2009

Tweet to distraction

Anybody remember “Rico Suave”. Yeah, I do to. It is something that got overplayed, overhyped, and now it’s just embarrassing when it gets stuck in your head and you can’t get it out.

I think the world is eventually going to feel the same way about Twitter. A Sports Illustrated article today talks about how Twitter is changing sports, or at least our relationship as fans with sports stars. While they provide some compelling evidence, Twitter as the hot thing isn’t likely to keep momentum, and there are some lessons to be learned.

Twitter isn’t really sustainable from a user or a reader platform on a mass basis. A short article by Baltimore Sun critic David Zurawik on Nielsen reporting that most users opt out after the first months points this out. For average people, they realize pretty quickly that letting everyone know everything that you are thinking or doing takes a lot of thinking and doing. It violates one of the basic facts of good communication which is that it has to be interesting and most of us just aren’t that interesting on a minute by minute basis. If you need further proof read my blog.

From the perspective of a fan or listener, I will admit that Twitter appears to have more usage, but not across a broad spectrum. There are a group of people that care enough to follow Stewart Cink’s every thought, but the longer that goes on the more that crowd thins to a pretty interesting few. There isn’t a profit motive for Cink and it has the making of creating a strange relationship with fans. For instance, I can’t even imagine my wife wanting hourly updates about my life let alone anyone else.

So, for those of you in communication and marketing I would say that Twitter is a potential time killer without a lot of upside. Sure it can be used for some useful things, but on an individual level the work doesn’t necessarily lead to the benefits one might hope for.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 3:40 PM, Blogger Mark Lambertson said...

I agree wholeheartedly. I've been on Twitter for three days and I'm already tired of it. The twitted info has been 98% distraction and 2% pointless.

 
At 9:24 AM, Anonymous Maria said...

Good food for thought. I agree with you at many levels, but I'd be curious to know your thoughts on other applications of twitter--besides the endless updates of personal daily activity.

For example, Obama capitalized on Twitter and other Social Networking tools to connect with his supporters. Congress Senate members are now tweeting during sessions.

Here's an article I recently posted on Facebook
http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1902604,00.html

In my experience, Web 2.0 and Social Networking tools often morph as users find additional applications. I'm particularly interested in how these tools can have applications in education.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home