Friday, August 25, 2006

The Squeeze

One of the challenges that faces someone with the title "director" is setting a campus wide marketing agenda is that they are often faced with someone or several someones with titles that signify they have more power in the situations. However, the nature of the college campus is collaborative with the least being the most in some cases. This challenge is on full display right now though and without a plan we have all agreed on I think the squeeze is more painful.

The squeeze occurs when two V.P.'s both ask a director to do something and that something is contradictory. I see one of the primary values of having an integrated marketing plan as being the fact that it will give me an agreement to go back to and negotiate. For instance, I can go back and say, "Well, maybe we should do this because it fits with the marketing objectives." Then again, I may be living in a fantasy world of preplanning when the world looks rosy.

I have decided that it doesn't do much good to use the blog unless I link to some of the documents we are working on. I'm working on how to do that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home