Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Inside Higher Education ran a piece on Monday that proves that faculty gets a fair amount of their nutrition biting the hand that feeds them. Their review of “Wanna-Be U” is interesting, and highlights a problem that most university relations people have to face at some point.

While, I have no idea if the book has merits, there aren’t a lot of industries where you could write a thinly veiled criticism of your employer and expect that there wouldn’t be consequences. In this case, there will probably be accolades.

For me, it highlights the importance of internal communication and the reality that because of the unique nature of university governance and tenure 100% support is not a goal any of us are going to achieve.

I also find that this is good for me to reflect on, because I seem to find myself most disappointed by the criticism within rather than from without. I’m not too frustrated when those outside of the academy don’t understand and see it as a challenge to communicate. I tend to get frustrated by those inside the walls are unwilling or unable to support the institution.

Of course there is room for disagreement, but in presenting a face to stakeholders outside the university singing from the same sheet of music goes a long way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home