Friday, October 09, 2009

Using Insights to shape Facebook page content

In an earlier post, I wrote about how Facebook usernames help grow brand fan pages. As a postscript, the growth of our university's fan base continued through the month of September. The page reached 2,000 fans on October 8. That's 500 new fans in three weeks, or an overall increase of 286% since the page's username was implemented in midsummer.



Given the size of our enrollment and alumni base, I expect the growth to plateau. But meanwhile, I have found the composition of our fan base fascinating. The group skews female (57%). The age demographics are even more interesting. According our Insights report:

18% are potential future college students, ages 13-17.
32% are currently of traditional college age, 18-24.
25% are probably recent alumni, ages 25-34
11% are ages 25-44
9% are ages 45-54
4% are ages 55+

These statistics have been remarkably stable since June. They did not change significantly even after we added Facebook buttons to our campus portal (for current students) or Admissions page (for prospective students).

The age demographics have made me reconsider how we shape our Facebook page content. We need to keep the material aimed at prospective students, but we need to add more material designed to serve current students and alumni.

About half of our fans live within a two-hour drive of the university. That's important to note when using Facebook to promote special events, such as concerts or athletic competitions. Facebook allows simple segmentation of updates sent to fans. We can shape our communication stream appropriately, routinely inviting those who live nearby but not sending spammy invitations to those far away. (Of course, Homecoming invitations will go worldwide!)

I would like your suggestions about Facebook content for the 25-44 population -- the largest segment of our fan base. If you fall into that category, what kind of resources would you like to see added to your alma mater's Facebook page? Wall posts about alumni, faculty, and student achievements are a natural. What else should be added to the standing content on the other sections -- for example, the Boxes tab or the Events tab?

Post a comment and share your thoughts.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 8:18 AM, Anonymous Erin Kinzel said...

Interesting. I just took a look at Bethel's insights:

13-17 = 11%
18-24 = 31%
25-34 = 26%
35-44 = 15%
45-54 = 10%
55+ = 4%

These are the percentages for our fan base. In looking at our fan interactions this week I notice that 40% of them came from the 45-54 demographic. Apparently our content is most appealing to one of our smallest groups. Interesting.

Because of a variety of factors our content seems to gravitate towards our alumni base, so I am now thinking the opposite question - how do we create content that appeals to prospective and current students? Looks like I'll be visiting your Facebook page today to see what I can learn. :-)

As far as our content goes, the past month or two have been focused mostly on promoting Alumni Weekend. We've had contests related to this and so far I've been pleased with the participation. I try to pose questions or create content that encourages a response, in an effort to get people engaged in conversation. I don't always get the response I want, but each try gives me new insight into what people are or aren't interested in.

Another thing I've wondered but haven't had time to investigate - does the time of day affect how many and what type of responses I get? If I posted content at 9pm would I be more likely to get a response from our younger fans?

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Chatohaze said...

This is really good stuff. Thank you both for your comments. Right now we are so highly segmented that I don't think we are making the most of the tools. Do you manage your sites out of one central spot, or does Alumni do alumni, admissions do prospects? Etc.

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger John Paff said...

Erin, I think your instincts are accurate: Evening posts will draw the most responses, especially from younger users.

Chato, to answer your question: We have 6 admins for our Facebook page. When they post to the University's "Wall" they are represented by the institution's icon, rather than their own profile picture. Only two of us are very active. The others are there for inclusion (and for backup). We have representatives of the PR, Admissions, and Alumni offices set up as admins for the page.

 
At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Barb Chamberlain said...

My campus is 50% undergrad/50% graduate/professional, so I have a bigger age spread that can be viewed as either alumni or prospective students (or both, if they want to come back for a master's degree). I'd appreciate comments from others in a similar situation, if you see your FB page serving grad students/prospects.

With very little content posted so far, my data pool is pretty small but I do see that content on student activities such as design studio projects draw more likes and comments, so I'll be doing more of those. Posting news releases gets few if any clickthroughs (I track all those). I haven't done much to promote events here, but may try some of that since we have about 50% of our fans from our immediate area.

Appreciate the piece--it got me thinking and using the Insights page more.

@BarbChamberlain
@WSUSpokane
Washington State University Spokane
www.spokane.wsu.edu

 
At 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home